Sunday 30 October 2011

My Metal Journey



I guess my musical journey began as a young child listening to bands like Nirvana, Terrorvision, Pearl Jam and many more bands of that era. I was never satisfied with just rock riffs and singing vocals. I moved on and explored punk bands and I was excited by the vocals and the lyrics but the guitars and drums never satisfied.
I never thought I would turn to Metal as I was the only girl in my family and I was expected to be a little princess. I was not a typical girl, I liked to express myself in other ways. I spent all my time in my room drawing and listening to my brothers vinyl and cds. I never wanted to hang out with the cools kids. I was hated and I knew it.
I went to college after struggling through primary and high school and I found I could be myself and no one cared. I was still different but it was cool. I shaved my hair off and listened to what my mum calls angry music. My art reflected my life and had an alternative way of expression different to everyone elses. I was not into pink or flowers. I made large scaffolding installations with punk messages scribbled on the canvas.
I am rambling.
Basically, I love metal and my journey to find this passion was a long and painful one. I started dating someone very much like myself this year. A metal lover who I can talk to about the bands I love and have intellectual metal conversations with. I started to collect vinyl and purchased more cds as I was confident and no longer scared of who I was.
Metal is my life and nothing will ever come close to the feeling I get when I listen to my favourite bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment